Wedding soap Last weekend I got married….! 🙂 And what was my wedding favor? That is correct, the wedding soap!

I am not much of a soap designer, but here tried to do my best…

Recipe

I prepared the red spirals at the very beginning. I made them from a soap with red clay with ylang-ylang I have made some time ago, using the potato peeler.

I tried to make a soap that would be resistant (palm oil,cocoa butter), but at the same time conditioning (olive oil, cocoa buter) and foaming (castor oil).

1500g olive oil
918g palm oil oleja (this is what I had left from palm oil)
300g cocoa butter
150g castor oil

1089g distilled water
365g NaOH (7% superfat)

At trace
30ml EO Lavender
50ml EO Bergamot

mixed with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to fix the scent.

Then I divided my soap into three parts:

1/4 – I left without color (to get the cream yellow, it gelled to a dark yellowish colour – see the darkest part of the soap)
3/4 – I added 3 tablespoons for titanium dioxide (indeed, first dissolved in some glycerine!!!) to  obtain white – from this white, I took an amount equivalent to 1/4 of the recipe and added 3 tablespoons of golden mica.

I made 48 soaps (although not all of the same proportions – in one mold the soap came out too short, so I cut it twice as wide)

Instructions

  1. I used cold process technique. The oils were mixed at 37°C with lye solution of 42°C.
  2. At light trace I added essential oils (already mixed with cornstarch) and then added the colours (see above). I mixed all the parts into a thick trace so that I can play with the soap top.
  3. I poured soap into three molds, in each I poured three layers: white, non-colored and finally white+golden mica.
  4. Then I made a quick hangar swirl, although now I think it would be nicer without it.
  5. Using a teaspoon I turned spoon by spoon the sides of the soap up and to the middle of the mold, creating the nice pyramidal top.
  6. Then put in the red soapy spirals and finally powdered everything with golden mica. Next time, I will powder it with mica later, just before cutting, as the mica got quite clumsy and I could not spread it over using a brush as the soap was too soft.
  7. I used two molds  – pastic and a cardboard from wine. Indeed, I lined up the cardboard one by plastic sheet and fixed it with large clips (see below)

I cut the soap after 24 hours, but the one in the plastic mold I had to put in the freezer first, because I had a hard time to unmold it.

Here is a video of me unmolding and cutting the soap (I don’t know why, but I love watching soap cutting!)

24 hours after cutting, I stamped our names to soap using golden mica – using my finger, I applied mica to the letters on the stamp and then … :

This is how they looked like on the tables (behind the name tags):