Luxury chocolate whipped body butter
Anna on her blog published a recipe for Chocolate mousse body butter.It’s been some time I made my last whipped butter and this recipe just made me want to make one again!
The original recipe is pure oils and butters, very natural. Having for some time at my possesion a very interesting ingredient called Isopropyl myristate (IPM).
This ingredient is an ester of isopropyl alcohol and myristic acid (fatty acid from coconut oil). It feels like dry oil, is very readily absorbed into skin and therefore used in cosmetics to:
- impart less greasy feeling
- deliver ingredients into skin
However, it is comedogenic so should not be used for acne-prone skin.
For IPM to work in a 100% oil product, we need a larger quantity – the recipes I read say up to 33%. Therefore I had to change proportions of ingredients and substitute IPM for part of butters. This meant I needed to add beeswax to make it harder again.
Here is the original and my adjusted recipe (for comparison) – the original recipe is in cups, so I estimated percentages.
(my adjusted recipe
easy to absorb)
|Grapeseed oil vanilla infusion||6.5%|
|Cocoa powder||4 TBSP (for 500g)|
|Vitamin E||40 drops (for 500g)||1%|
|EO orange or vanilla||40 drops (for 500g)|
1. Put all ingredients in a pot and heat gently until all melted, but pay attention not to overheat (keep it at 75°C), otherwise the butters can get grainy
2. After melting, I put everything into the fridge overnight. Left overnight (it was late already), then in the morning let it at room temperature.
3. In the evening I put it in the electric mixer and whipped for 5 minutes at maximal speed
This butter is really yummy, soft, whipped and can be easily absorbed!
Do you have any favorite body butter recipes?
PS: I bought my isopropyl myristate at saveoncitric.com